Sunday, May 1, 2011

Busy weekend

This was a full weekend of yard and garden work, and I loved it!  However, my body is acutely aware of the fact that I am no longer 25...or even 35 for that matter.  It is a good soreness though, knowing that I accomplished much of what I set out to do.
With such a rainy spring here in Illinois, my spring garden planting has been delayed.  I was able to plant onions (a general red and a Stuttgarter variety for storage), Detroit dark red beets-2 pkgs., carrots (two types of which I will have to double check my variety names), edible podded peas, Green Giant-15 plants and Italian Romanesco broccoli-30 plants that I had started from seed, lettuces, spinach, and radishes.  The raspberries had a lot of dead canes which I cut back also.  My arms look like I have been in a cat fight.  :)  Some weeding was thrown in there for good measure as well. 
The paths between my raised beds are very weedy, and I need to work on controlling that as well.  I have saved up newspapers and plan to layer them in the paths and cover with straw. 
I am hoping for a good year for gardening!

3 comments:

Annie*s Granny said...

We're blog twins today.....I had to blog about my tired body too. Only mine is that of a 72-year old! Like you said, it's such a GOOD tired.

Flowering Pear said...

What a superb post! I like it..
Thanks for sharing..

Peggy said...

To Annie's Granny, I love that we were twins today! It means that we were productive at what we love to do. I can only hope that I am still doing this at 72!