Saturday, May 21, 2011

Adventures in vinegar

I have decided to try my hand at making vinegars this year.  I am not a big user of vinegars per se, but I am intrigued with the possibilities.  I am thinking of some great salad dressings in the future.  I had also thought about making them for Christmas gifts, but one site that I looked at didn't give me the impression that they would last that long....freshness wise...not because I would necessarily love them so much that I would eat all of it.
My first try is chive blossom vinegar.  I have a bunch of chives that blooms every year, and the blooms just go to waste.  Other than looking pretty in the spring.  I picked all my blossoms off, washed the bugs out, dried them using my salad spinner (a tip from another website that worked very well), and added them to about 1 1/2 quarts of white vinegar.  Now that I am typing this, I am wondering if I should have boiled the vinegar first....thinking I read that also.  Oh well, too late now.  They are to sit in a cool, dark place for 14 days prior to straining off the blooms.  The jar has been put in my downstairs kitchen cabinet.  I can't wait to see how it turns out.

No comments: