Sunday, May 22, 2011

Soaking okra seed

I had received some Cowhorn okra from my aunt in Alabama a couple years ago that I have never gotten planted.  I love that this is the okra that my family in Alabama, including my Grandma, has grown this variety for more years than I have been alive....truly an heirloom.
She had told me that she keeps hers in the freezer and then soaks it in bleach to soften the seed coat.  That just seems not right to me...  I kept thinking straight BLEACH??  The organic in me couldn't wrap my arms around that.  I went online and found many different formulas for softening the seed coats with bleach.  Hmmm....there must be something to this?  I decided to go for it.  Especially with my older seed.  I need every bit of help I can get to get those seeds sprouting.  I decided not to use straight bleach.  Instead I used a mixture of a pint of warm water with a few tablespoons of bleach.  It is supposed to rain here for the rest of the week, so I may push it and try to get them planted tonight.  We'll see what happens.

No comments: