Saturday, February 19, 2011

White flies

My gerbera daisies have been infected with whiteflies.  Lack of constant attention and a bit of drought stress probably didn't help.  I was looking online for an organic homemade remedy and found one from The Greenhouse Catalog that I am going to try.  One gallon of water, 2t. dish soap (it didn't specify a particular kind or brand), 2 t. baking soda, and 2t. vinegar.  After mixing mine, I would definitely recommend putting in the soap after the water.  I put the soap in and then the water and ended up with a lot of suds that I had to wait to go down to add more water.  I am interested as to why the vinegar and baking soda in the same amounts.  One is alkaline and one is acid...wouldn't they cancel each other out in some way?  It has been a long time since my chemistry days.  My infestation is small, so spraying each leaf, top and bottom, every 3-5 days should not be too bad.  It did mention that the temps should be under 80* and not drought stressed (mine are getting regular water now) in order to prevent damage to the plants.  I will keep you updated.  :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found a similar situation with mine, did your remedy help? Holly