Sunday, February 6, 2011

Indoor lettuce planting

There is a foot of snow outside and the gardening bug is starting to bite.  I thought that I would start some indoor lettuce in my shed.  I have done this before with some pretty good results.  It is always gratifying to know that you grew your own food, and knowing that it wasn't contaminated with goodness knows what toxic chemical is a definite plus!
I start with a woodburning tool to burn holes in the bottom of my plastic containers.  This tool works wonderfully!  Be careful though, plastic fumes are toxic.  You will want to do this in a well ventilated area.  Long ago, my great-gramma used to do the same thing with a nail that she would heat up.   
 The result of my hole punching.  Ironic that I am recycling spring mix lettuce containers to plant my lettuce in.  :)
 Container filled with soil and ready to plant.  I have turned the lid upside down to use as a tray for water.  All this recycling is good for my soul.  :)
 Two different lettuces in this container.  My seed is getting older, so I overseeded a bit.  The thinnings will taste great!
Another mix in this one.  I planted all looseleafs to add to the romaine that I buy at the store for my salads.  The colors from these varieties will make for a very nice looking salad.

4 comments:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

some fresh lettuce from the garden sounds good about now!

T2Nashville said...

Oooh, oooh, this sounds like something I can do! I have many questions!

What kind of soil did you use? How often do you water? When do I know I can pick it to eat it?

Remember, I am the BLACK thumb of the family, so I know nothing, but this sounds easy!

Peggy said...

Tammy, in response to your questions...
Soil-I try to use a "soiless" mix if at all possible. No top soil. It gets hard. My mix is generally peat based with no added fertilizers. The added fertilizers can affect the sprouting of the seeds.
Water-I just keep the soil moist but not drenched. Lettuce has a high water content, so once they sprout, you will need to keep even moisture.
Picking-the seed packet will help you with that. It depends on the type of lettuce. Looseleaf lettuces would be a good start. You can snip off leaves as you want them and they will keep coming. The thinnings are great in salads too! :)
Good luck and keep me posted!

Unknown said...

I will follow your advice and hope for the best. I'll probably start mine in the next month or so after I go get my supplies.