Sunday, June 5, 2011

Weeds

Today was supposed to be a cooler day, and I was hoping to get some weeding done.  Amazing how weeds profilerate at such a rate....gone yesterday here today...in multi generations!  God had other plans.  We have a severe thunderstorm watch until noon and are getting nice showers with thunderstorms.  No weeding right now.  The plants did need some water and rain is so much better than a sprinkler.

My tomato plants and peppers seem to have been stunted.  Not much growth.  My broccoli seems to be doing well as with the carrots, beets, and peas.  Too much cooler weather overall. 

This has been such a weird year in terms of weather.  I have said that for several years now.  I don't buy into global warming, but think that weather changes happen and have done so throughout history.  Don't get me wrong, I do think that what we are doing to the environment has to cause some sort of change, but I don't blame everything on it.  No hate mail please!  :)

This has not only been a crazy year for weather, but for just trying to get gardening in at all!  I always thought that when the girls got older that there would be so much more time for other activities....wrong.  It seems that just the opposite has happened.  I still have beans, blackeyed peas, squash and okra to get in the ground.  Perhaps not getting the warm weather crops in yet hasn't been such a bad thing since the weather is wacky anyway.....

2 comments:

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Peggy,
We did not have much of a spring. Now, we're having 90s. Tomorrow could be 96, they say. I have been off for the summer since a week ago Friday. There is so much going on, that I'm behind in my gardening, too. I just got cucumbers, green beans, and some more beets and carrots planted the last few days.

Thanks for your comment on my vegetable garden post. Yes, I enjoy my wash tubs!

Peggy said...

Hi Sue,
I look at those wash tubs at flea markets and sales hoping for a great deal.
It is good to know that I am not the only gardener behind in planting. I wish I could have a few nice days off work with no gnats swarming to get the garden in shape.
Try to stay cool! :)