Thursday, June 9, 2011

Friendship bean

Many of the plants that I have are remembered by who gave them to me.  These plants bring back floods of memories.  The "Darnaby lily" which is a yellow lily from our very first house as a married couple that we have brought with us with each move.  The white iris with purple edging that came from that house also.  The purple and yellow iris from "Grandma and Grandpa Ken", our neighbors when we lived in that first house.  They also gave us a sedum and I have since planted grape hyacinths that remind me of them.  Chameleon plant from our neighbor in our second house.  Chives from a friend that I used to work with.  Hosta from my previous walking buddy that started our current book club.  My Annabelle hydrangea that was a Mother's day present from my girls 11 years ago.  Pale yellow iris from a former boss.  The list goes on and on....

The reason for all of this nostalgia is that I have found seeds for Hyacinth Bean in my potting shed that are from my next door neighbor that just recently, and quite unexpectedly passed away.  She was a farmer's wife with a love for flowers that would share freely.  I have received coral bells from her as well as what was supposed to be a short sunflowery plant that grows over four feet tall in my beds and has become annoyingly invasive.  :)  It must like it's surroundings.

Anyway, I think that I will plant them along our chain link fence on her side in her memory.  Perhaps her husband will enjoy them also.

No comments: