Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hoping for snow

I confess....I am a gardener that also loves winter.  I tend to be somewhat like a kid when it comes to a forecast of snow.  My latest facebook status was, "Wondering if reverse psychology will work on snow storms? If I don't get excited and hopeful, maybe we will actually get a good storm. You know...expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised and all that? Now to work on the not getting excited part......."  I get all excited only to be let down by meteorological error.  Who wouldn't want a job in which you get paid to be wrong?  Me...me...me!!  :)
I woke up this morning to a Winter Storm Watch for the possibility of 12+ inches of snow.  This is getting difficult...remember, I get excited for a forecast of 3-4 inches.  12+ brings me to a whole new level. 
Before I get poo-pooed by the naysayers of winter, think of the possibilties a winter storm brings for gardeners.
  • Snow days in which to dream over brightly colored seed catalogs dutifully dog eared and full of post it notes.
  • Opportunity to plan and replan the veggie garden until the paper gives way under your eraser.
  • Time to enjoy the winter birds (and the neighborhood squirrel) that are thankful for your contribution of seed.
  • More time to clean and organize seed starting pots and etc. for the soon to come planting.
  • Freedom to read about new gardening techniques to try.  Lasagna gardening has me intrigued.
  • Cookbooks to read for new ideas on how to use the abundance of zucchini that will send your neighbors diving for cover when they see you coming with a weighted Wal Mart bag.  I confess that I have left them on porches and hanging from door knobs....
So, in the spirit of reverse psychology, there is no snow coming.....right?  :)

4 comments:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I love it too, if I don't have to go to work! I am nurse to, I have to be there Tuesday at 0515 wish me luck...if i make it back home Tues night I am off Wed.

but love to sit and watch it. Hope you get as much as you want!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Peggy,
I rode with my husband to work because we have freezing drizzle coming down, and are supposed to get a couple inches of snow this afternoon, with more expected tonight and tomorrow. (I am a special education para, and he is the audio-visual technician at the same high school I work at.) He starts half an hour before I do, and stays half an hour.

I had to laugh when I read your post. I had left a comment on meemsync's blog last week about how I love snow, after she said she was tired of it. Then, I felt bad, because NYC was in the news because of all the snow they'd had.

I think we're all supposed to get more the next few days. I hope you and I get what we want. Oops, I hope we don't get it! LOL

Peggy said...

Ann, I hope that you make it back from work and don't get held there b/c of staff not being able to make it there. Ugh!
Sue, rather than feeling bad for NY, I get envious! I wish we could have snows like this every few weeks! I do feel for the people that will be getting all of the ice. It can be so damaging. It was alternating snow, sleet and freezing rain when I came home from work today. Calling for up to 18 inches by the time it is over. Yippee! I will definitely be posting some pictures. :)

Corner Gardener Sue said...

We just got the call saying there is no school. My husband is still supposed to report, but he has leave he can use. He doesn't have much to do if there's no school. I need to go to the school website to see if I have to use leave.

We won't be getting as much snow as you, but we are getting the strong winds and cold temps. I look forward to seeing your snow photos.