Friday, January 14, 2011

The challenges of a winter garden blog

Although I am trying hard to maintain regular posts on my blog since New Year's (I hesitate to use the word "resolution"here...it seems a bit like a set up for failure to me), I am finding that it is difficult to work full time during the day and have something interesting to blog about since by the time I get home, it is usually dark or just about there.  This is that "in between" time of the year in the midwest.  In a couple of months, my potting shed will be coming alive again with potting of seeds to start new plants for the veggie and flower gardens.  It has been a busy winter around here, and I haven't had much time to look at the brightly colored catalogs that make me dream of late winter seed starting and spring planting. 
There are things that I need to complete prior to getting my seeds started:
  • Tidy the potting shed
  • Take note of supplies
  • Clean and sterilize seed starting containers
  • Check flourescent bulbs for replacements
  • Check seed spreadsheet for updates
  • Map out veggie garden plan
  • Order new seed as needed
Just listing this out has made me get the itch to be in the shed!

The sign to the right was given to me as a gift this week by a dear neighbor of mine.  I can't wait to find the perfect place to hang it in the shed.  :)

3 comments:

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I see you are following me. Thanks! I don't always get that checked, but was scrolling down to see how much of my background photo showed at the bottom, and saw I had a few new followers. I love the way you have your background photo on the left on your blog.

I have ideas for posts, but am not always motivated. I am trying to get a room in my house uncluttered, so I'm not spending as much time on the computer. It's slow going, because I have to look at and touch everything, and debate about whether to keep it and where to put it.

I see we're in the same gardening zone. I like January better than November, because I know spring is a little closer, and the days are getting longer. Have fun starting the things on your list!

fer said...

Good luck with all your projects!

mysisterdalesgarden said...

Peggy, Every day I find a new garden blog or article---today I found yours. I'm drawn to photos of flowers and garden hints.I'm just guessing that you are not seeing many fresh flower blooms where you live. I'd love to share my garden with you while your weather is less than perfect.


When my sister passed away from Lung Cancer I started a memorial garden in her honor. That garden has grown into a magical, peaceful place. What started with a Peach Tree has now developed into a tropical showcase. I have taken over 5000 pictures of the flowers, fruit, trees and vegetables. I post them daily on my website. Please read the comments from people who have been touched by the garden's beauty and the message. www.mysisterdalesgarden.com you will find the most recent photos and comments in photo gallery 1. I'm trying to make a difference one flower at a time.

See you in the garden,
Miriam