Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Back in the swing of things

Well, I have successfully survived my first year of graduate school.  All in one piece.  Wow, is mid-life learning ever different from learning as an 18-23 year old!  The brain just doesn't function quite the same as it used to.
I am taking the summer off from school so gardening has a priority status once again.  :)
The biggest change that I have made this year is transitioning to an all non-GMO seed garden.  The seed saver in me had a tough time throwing away all of the old seed that I had.  Can you believe that I had seeds back from 2008?  While I have ordered seed from other Safe Seed Pledge companies in the past with good results, I ordered all of my seed from Baker Creek Seeds this year.  No particular reason other than I was one stop shopping for the sake of time at that moment.  I take that back...I did get a package of Seeds of Change yellow pear tomato seeds at the local Menards.  Oops.
Here are my towers of drying, recycled containers after I washed and santitized them.  I used nearly every one of them transplanting just tomatoes and peppers.
This is my indoor seed starting set up in my potting shed.  I am going to have to rob my sewing/craft room of its shelving in order to keep my seedlings under florescent lights as I continue to transplant and pot up seedlings.  I think I will be running out of room!
 
I transplanted tomatoes and peppers on Sunday.  I was a bit worried because the peppers totally wilted on me initially but were fine by the next day.  Whew!  The tomatoes got transplanted up to their first set of leaves...not their first true leaves, but the seed leaves.  They will grow extra roots this way.  The amount of growth in them in just a couple of days has been amazing.  I feel like a mother hen checking the progress in the shed every day, sometimes multiple times a day.  Each time, something new is sprouting, needs watered, or just admired.  :)  There is nothing quite like gardening to soothe the soul. 
I am looking forward to documenting this year's garden adventures again...at least until the fall semester starts up again...





1 comment:

troutbirder said...

I'm sure you'll do just fine. We gardeners have to be organized and attentive people you know. Ideal for graduate school...;)