Sunday, September 18, 2011

More hummingbirds....

In order to not make it appear as if I was only excited to see an anomaly in the world of hummingbirds, I did get some pictures of the "normal" hummingbirds as well.  I had been trying to get pictures at my feeders, but hadn't had any luck.  It is too easy to get distracted at home by the next project or child that needed my attention.  At my in-laws, I was able to sit on the porch, drink coffee, and simply wait for the entertainment.  Listening to the birds talk and scold and protect their territory is always entertaining.

"Who, me?"

Posing for a side view...
I had not realized how speckled the throat of a hummingbird is.  I was hoping to catch a glimpse of a ruby throated male, but not luck that morning.
Someone has their feathers ruffled...

Waiting and watching for the next intruder...
...and a little preening.  I tried and tried to get this shot.  I would click the shutter just a second to late.  I was happy to have caught this.
Fluffed and puffed
This reminds me of just how small these birds are.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Wonderful pictures! Mine were at the feeder tonight, dive bombing each other!

HolleyGarden said...

I can never seem to get good pictures of the hummingbirds. They are always on the go! Great pictures. Glad you got to sit down and relax for a while.

Life As I Know It said...

Wow, amazing photos! The white humming bird does seem to look albino (not Leucistic) since the beak is not black! They are really rare. Try to see if these people are interested:

http://www.rubythroat.org/AlbinoMain.html

charlie b. said...

Great photos! I love how they sit at the feeder and look around, keeping an eye out for incoming intruders. Then buzz off to a spot where they can keep watch. So funny!

Peggy said...

Thanks for the photo compliments! Shooting with a tripod and having the time just to relax and watch the birds made all the difference. I always say I get one good/decent picture for every 50 that I shoot. :)
I did log the sighting into eBird at the suggestion of the Cornell Dept of Orinthology.